Monday, August 31, 2009

Breakdown 101

Why is it when you are with your kids non-stop 7 days a weeks without any breaks (besides nap and nighttime) they want to be right by your side even if Dad is in the other room and they haven't seen him for more than 5 minutes the whole week? I just don't understand it. Lizzie is with me ALL day long so you think she would get sick of me, and when Daddy gets home push me aside for someone new to play with.. WRONG!!! She loves her Dad don't get me wrong, but she is stuck to me like gum on a shoe. I love her to death, but she doesn't understand that Mommy needs a 5 minute break sometimes to gain her sanity back after long days of high pitch screaming and a rambunctious child who has so much energy that I think sometimes she stole the batteries out of the energizer bunny and she just keeps going and going and going.
Well this was one of those days.. We had just ate dinner and I needed to write some emails about upcoming events that were taking place. If you have ever been to our house you have seen the gate that is in front of the office door so Lizzie cannot come in since we have important papers everywhere, and lots of fun stuff she would LOVE to touch. Well normally if I'm in the office she will stand at the gate and cry a little bit, and then run off to play toys or read books in her room.. that was not the case this day. She saw me at the computer and threw a blown out tantrum... I have never seen her like this. It went on for about 10 minutes. I needed to get these emails out so I just kinda ignored her... and shut the door to the office. Which wasn't the smartest thing on my part because it escalated the issues 100 fold. She FREAKED OUT! after David trying to calm her down and nothing working David brought her to the gate and knock on the door and when I opened it this is what I found...

Lizzie said, "Mommy in please!" I took down the gate and gave her a big hug, and she was happy as a clam! Kids sure do know how to play the Mommy card!

4 comments:

The Special Reds said...

Oh the joys of children. She must feel a little neglected with the new baby, huh? I'm sure it will get better. What a sad face!

karin said...

I think it is great.I love when they only thing that can make my boys happy is me, it doesn't happen nearly enough because they really enjoy their dad. I am asked several times a day when dad is coming home. But I noticed after I had baby #3, the older boys wanted their mom more. I have taken the older boys on errands and gotten a treat at the end. It worked for us and they are less clingy and really sometimes you really need 5 minutes just to be on the computer by yourself to make the next (or even that) day tolerable. Being a mom is hard but so worth it.

Thought I would leave a comment since obviously I have so much to say about this.

Erin said...

geez katrina youre such a mean mom. How dare you have a few minutes to yourself. How dare you take care of some emails.

You know i love you girl.

Cori Shaw, MS, RD said...

that is the cutest little sad face! looking forward to seeing you guys on Saturday!