Friday, June 19, 2009

NEVER walk out of your house without your keys




So let's just say that I feel like the worst mom ever!!! Today the new neighbors came and knocked on our door since they were storing their ladder in our garage since they didn't want anyone to take it. So I put some shoes on, shut the laundry door behind me, opened the garage door, and walked over to give them their ladder. I was over there for less than a minute and I left Lizzie in the house NOT thinking anything would go wrong.

I WAS SO WRONG!!!!

To my surprise Lizzie knows how to lock dead bolts! I guess she tried opening the door to follow me and she locked herself in the house. After dropping off the ladder I tried to open the door and it was locked. I started to panic realizing that my 18 month old is locked inside, and EVERY door,window, and slider is locked. I run back to the neighbors and ask if I could borrow her cellphone to call David. David asks me a million questions and wonders how she locked the deadbolt. (*sidenote: David carpooled today so he didn't have a car) David calls Papa and they come to our rescue. Meanwhile each set of neighbors are walking around our house trying to get in and trying to figure out how to break the deadbolt. Lizzie decides that our bedroom is the best spot for herself, and since we just got suntex on our windows she could see us, but we couldn't see her. So Charlotte Peel and I pull up some patio chairs and hang out with Lizzie while we wait for David and Papa to get here with the keys. (I didn't want to call 911 since they would have to break a window or ax our door-and we finally just got all of them in) Thirty minutes later David and Papa get here, and David rushes in to find Lizzie in our bedroom with a whirlwind of a mess. Thank goodness she was okay! So the moral of the story is to get copies of our house keys and hide one, plus pass some out to our friends who live in town.

Thanks to everyone who saved the day!

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Scary! That's always been one of my worst fears . . . I'm glad Lizzie was ok!

Katie said...

My kids can lock doors now too, so I"ll have to take your advice. Glad everything worked out okay.

Steven and Miranda said...

That was such a cute story! That will be a story that your will remember forever! I am so glad your family was able to come to the rescue! If it were me out in LA, well I would be SOL! I am glad all is well!

Elizabeth & Roberto said...

That is SO Scary... oh my gosh I would have a panic attack I'm sure! lol.. by the way I found the mug at hallmark. I looked everywhere else.. that's the only place I could find one.