Monday, October 4, 2010

Disneyland Half Marathon

4 AM getting ready The finish line (do you see me?)
after 13.1 miles ( I did it!!!!!)
my BIGGEST supporter!!! I love you Honey

Preparing for this race has been a blessing and a trial all wrapped up into one. As most of you know last year for our family was a difficult one, and I needed a fresh outlook on life. I was sick of being stressed out of my mind, and wanting to crawl into a hole and never come out. But that is why we have certain people in our lives to help us make it out of those crazy times, and have a fresher outlook on the positive things in life. At one of my MAJOR breaking points I felt like I couldn't go any farther. Life was crap, and I needed help. So I went in to visit our Bishop and had a heartfelt talk with him. To my astonishment his advice was something I wasn't expecting in a million years. He asked if I had a hobby. A Hobby? SERIOUSLY! I'm dying over here, and you want to know if I have a hobby. I told him I had things that kept me busy, and I started to rattle off what I did. He then looked at me, and I will never forget what he said next... "Well those are all great things, but I'm looking for something that you do for yourself" I was dumbfounded. For myself... I have barely enough time to change my underwear and you want to know what I just do for myself. He told me to go home and ponder what I wanted to do for myself. I was kinda angry walking out of his office. Thinking he would give me a quick fix. Something small I could change, and life would be put back into place. So as I drove home I tried to think of something I would enjoy just for me. Millions of things streamed through my mind, but they were not activities I found really enjoyable and I didn't feel they would help me out of this rut. I walked into the door told David what happened, and he told me to think what I could do, and he would back me 110 percent. (Okay I have backup from David.... now what the heck am I going to do?) As I laid in bed that night I remember thinking and thinking of this *wonder fix, but as the hours passed, and as I tossed and turned I came upon running.
Running and me are NEVER used in the same sentence. I am not a runner, and I have never been one, but back in college when I live in Provo I used it as my output of frustration with: school, work, and roommates. It worked pretty well and I found myself down at the track mostly every night. But, when I left Utah running was out of my system. So as I thought about this idea.... it worked once why can't it work again right? So I informed David about my idea, and my Bishop they told me to shoot for the stars. Last year I remember reading everyone blogs about doing the Disneyland Half Marathon. I thought it looked so fun, but laughed as I thought of the idea of running 13.1 miles. Well this year was going to be different and it has. I made some goals (and I NEVER stick to them longer than a month) but this year was going to be different. It had to be or I was going to really need help. So I got my friends on board with me, and we would walk every morning. It felt good to get outside with the girls and some friends and enjoy the hour of walking and chatting. Well after many weeks of that I added a little running into the routine, and off we went. I became the cheerleader for my friends and we did it. We walked and ran and it felt good. (* side-note: When you make a goal for you that feels right, it might not be the right goal for your friends) slowly but surely my friends dwindled off, and I was left alone on my running adventure. Which is totally fine, but it put the pressure on me to finish this. Am I going to get up and run by myself? It is too early... I will run later, ect. But throughout this challenge my life has been blessed. I have met amazing people along the way who have pushed me beyond belief. I'm grateful for those friends who would get up with me in those wee hours in the morning to push 4 miles in the cold. Or those friends who would push 6 miles in the extreme heat. Or even those friends who would be out there with me pushing major mileage each week, and feeling triumphant. Thank you to each of you! You know who you are and I'm so grateful of each of you. You have each touched me in more ways than one, and you have been the angels there to answer my prayers. As I prepared to meet this beast of a run I knew I could do it the whole time. Once you start running and for me as I pass mile 3 or 4 I can run forever. Everyone always says I can never do it! It is just too hard, but I promise if you put some faith in yourself anything is possible.
When I ran the Iron Girl there was a large hill we had to go up. Let me tell you I NEVER trained with hills, and here is my Everest. At the bottom of the hill there was a husband with his 2 small girls with a sign that said," You can do it Mommy! We Love you" As I saw that small family I pictured it as David with the girls. I got choked up and started to cry. I was scared of that hill and I didn't think I could do it, but that family was there for me too, and helped me push though. I will always be in debt to that family. That thought of them has helped me push even harder, and helped me though some of the hardest mileage.
My mileage was looking good, and my time was amazing to me. I knew I had this in the bag and I just needed to wait a couple more weeks till my victory, but life always adds a twist . I'm PREGNANT! WHAT!!! I can't be! Not now.. I have worked so hard. It can't be! Another baby wasn't in my plan, can I handle it? Krislynn is still a baby? After a week of denial. I thought I was going to power though this race. NO SENOR!!! That was not this plan again. I started bleeding, and the doctor put me on bed rest, and not RUNNING! The doctors continued to tell me that this race was something I shouldn't do. It isn't good for the baby, etc. By this point I'm pissed I worked so hard, and for what ? my body to get fat again and to be sick? No!!! I'm not given up on this race I have worked so hard. My doctor was running the race too, so I thought if anything happens she will be there so no worries! So I took the week off, and continued to train. I started bleeding again. She put me on bed rest again, and asked me not to run the race. She told me I could walk it, but NO RUNNING!!! so I listened and continued my training by walking.
Race Day was FINALLY here. I had so many restless nights about what I should do. I knew my body the best, and I wasn't going to sit on the sidelines. So I made the choice and ran/walked it. I felt good and I let my body rest. I knew when I needed to walk and to slow down my heart rate, and I did exactly that. You can make your judgements about me for not listening to the doctors, but I needed this. It was the best experience! even though I ran/walked I was proud of my success. I didn't want to get picked up and taken to the finish line, and my goal was to finish under 3 hours. I met both goals, and I can't wait to do it again. Hopefully this time without all the stresses of life.

Next goal: A RAGNAR RACE (12 people and 180 miles)



*Shout-out to Angie: I'm so proud of you! You can do whatever you put your mind to no matter if it is 3 miles or a half marathon! You go girl!!! You are my hero!


9 comments:

Bekah Parker said...

So proud of you!!!

Sarah said...

Katrina,
You are amazing! Good for you and congratulations on completing such a great goal and for the little bun in your oven!! Thanks for this inspiring post!

The Special Reds said...

Way to go for doing the half marathon! You are awesome. I'll run a ragnar with you--that sounds fun.

Brent said...

Katrina! I am SO proud of you! And your experience seeing David and your girls with the sign...oh...that made me a little teary eyed, I admit.

Doing a Ragnar is a great next goal. They are deliriously fun, and you'll have an awesome time. If you're not careful, they'll become an annual tradition.

Again, congrats on reaching your goal, of spending time on yourself, and being a great mom and wife!

Cori Shaw, MS, RD said...

YOU GO GIRL! You are my inspiration!

Anne Marie said...

Congratulations!!! On both the race and new baby on the way! Good job on sticking with your goal! I'm the same, not a runner and in fact don't enjoy running at all. My bro and sis-in-law have done a ragnar and LOVED it. I am going to make that my goal whenever I get my rear in gear.

Anupa Harvey said...

Woo hoo, congrats to you! A half marathon is no easy task! I did my first one ever earlier this year too...7 weeks pregnant also! I'm glad you were able to meet your goal and feel good about your accomplishment. You go girl!

The Lingo Family said...

:) Reading this brought tears to my eyes. You are an inspiration to me Katrina. Thanks for getting me out walking and always encouraging me to run too. I will be thinking of you during my race on Sunday. I know we will run a race together some day.

Emily@remodelingthislife said...

Hi Katrina,

Thank you for your comment on my blog about my upcoming 1/2. Reading this, especially the part about the family with the sign, made me cry. I am so proud of you and I am so excited for mine now. I know my kids will be out there screaming for me and that makes me so proud and happy. Thanks again. I needed to read this this morning.

xo