Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Today's Science/Art Lesson

Today as I was making my bed I noticed that the butterfly between our screen door and slider had broke out of its cocoon and was drying its wings. This was a PERFECT teaching moment for Lizzie. We talked about the life cycle of the butterfly, and the color on its wings, the different shape spots, ect. Then I had Lizzie get out her observation journal and draw was she saw. I think her butterfly was so good. It had orange wings and a black outline.

Then I did a mental notation of all the other things she saw and was drawing from the window. I think the colors she used to represent the things she drew matched pretty well. I'm excited to use her observation notebook again soon. I loved that she kept asking me to draw different things for her, but I would remind her that this was her observational journal, and that she had to draw the different objects. After a couple times asking me to help her, and getting the same response she just got to work, and this is what she created.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: